Bridgeton is a suburb of Greater St. Louis, which is in the northwest of St. Louis County, Missouri. Today, the suburb of Bridgeton is the central transport hub within Greater St. Louis. Additionally, a part of the Lambert-St. Louis International Airport is located within Bridgeton. According to the 2010 census, there are approximately 11,550 residents in the suburb with our most populated areas located between St. Charles and the airport. Because of our closeness to main transportation routes since the beginning of Bridgeton, we have been able to be one of the main attractions in the city of St. Louis. Bridgeton consists of 14.6 square miles of land, and less than 1 mile of water. As a result of Bridgeton's 1995 expansion plan for our airport, our population has dwindled in a section of Bridgeton. The plan eliminated over 2,000 homes in the city, causing residents to move to other parts of St. Louis. However, the current residents of Bridgeton live happily and enjoy living in a diverse, safe environment with a fast-growing economy.
Early History of Bridgeton
Étienne de Veniard de Bourgmont, the French explorer, came to the area of Bridgeton in 1724. He first discovered the area as he was on route to St. Charles from St. Louis. Our history goes back to the first Europeans who came to America and interacted with the indigenous peoples; this time in early Bridgeton history is considered a section of the French Illinois Territory. Years later, the Spanish won colonial control of the land in 1768. This was a result of the English's victory against the French in the Seven Years' War. After the loss, they released their territory west of the Mississippi to the Spanish. The French maintained control until 1804, a year after the Louisiana Purchase. During the Louisiana Purchase, they agreed on $15 million land deal, which included 827,000 miles of land near the Mississippi River.
Early Names: Marais des Liards and Owen's Station
Before the area became known as Bridgeton, it was named Marais des Liards, which means "Cottonwood Swamp." However, originally, it was referred to as "Village a Robert" and was named after Robert Owen who was the person who received the land from the Spanish. He was considered the founder, and consequently, the village became known as Owen's Station as more English speakers started settling in the area. It quickly grew to a population of 77 men and 47 females, which also included slaves. Years later, Merriwether Lewis traveled through the town as he arrived to meet those who would be a part of the infamous Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Shortly after the town was granted a state charter in the early 1840s, the Jesuits traveled from the St. Stanislaus Seminary and St. Ferdinand Parish of Florissant to Bridgeton. The Catholic order created St. Mary's Church in the early 1850s so they could serve the local Catholics. After the first year of operation, it became a complete parish with regular attendees and continued to run successfully until 2001.
For more of Bridgeton's history, check out the Bridgeton Trails Branch, a St. Louis County Library. If you're impressed by our city's great culture and history, you might be tempted to stay longer than a vacation. In that case, we have great homes for families and singles alike. For our homes that have gardens, we also have excellent services, such as Lawn Love, who can provide the best lawn care for your new home.