Best weed control service near me
Weeds are the archnemesis of beautiful, green lawns. By definition, a weed is considered to be any plant that grows where you do not want it to grow. Weed control exists because even the best-kept lawns can fall under attack from common weeds and become a weed infested lawn. Weeds are a common challenge when it comes to lawn care in my area and even the best gardeners and lawn care pros continually combat these persistent pests.
Weed seeds can be transported by wind, water, animals, soil amendments, poor quality grass seed, and lawn and garden equipment. Since weed seeds are transported through the wind and air, they can pollinate nearby grounds causing the weeds you thought you had killed to start to grow again. Weed seeds can remain dormant for several years before they begin to grow, considering the need to reach the soil's surface and get proper sunlight and moisture before they germinate. The health of your lawn and its ability to sustain depends on the weeds that have grown and how you choose to respond to them. You are best equipped to fight weed invasion when you can identify common weeds and the ways to successfully get rid of them.
What is weed control?
Full service lawn care should absolutely include weed control. Weed control is the botanical component of pest control, which attempts to stop weeds, especially noxious or injurious weeds, from competing with desired flora and fauna, this includes domesticated plants and livestock, and in natural settings, it includes stopping non local species competing with native, local, species, especially so in reserves and heritage areas.
Weed control should be a part of all yard maintenance routines.
Types of weeds
There are three main classifications of weeds, which all grow differently depending on your type of grass.
- Annuals grow and produce seeds, then die within a single year. Some annuals may survive a second year in warmer climates. Annual weeds are the easiest to kill.
- Biennials live for two years. First year is vegetative development and the second year is flowering and seed development.
- Perennials live from season to season and produce seeds annually.
Weed Control Methods
By definition, weed control is a botanical component of pest control, that stops weeds from reaching a mature stage of growth when they could be harmful to domesticated plants, sometimes livestocks, by using manual techniques including soil cultivation, mulching and herbicides. The best way to prevent weeds may be to grow a plush and healthy lawn, but chances are they will still sprout. Fortunately, there are a few proven methods for weed control services.
Weed Control By Hand
Manually removing unwanted weeds by hand or with lawn care tools is the most selective and environmentally friendly way to control weeds. Here are some tips to keep in mind when using this weed control method:
- It is exponentially easier to remove them after a good rainfall.
- Attack a weed as soon as it shows up.
- Pull at the base, lifting out as much root as possible.
- For larger weeds with extensive roots, like thistles and dandelions, use a garden fork, spike or slim trowel.
Weed control and prevention by herbicides
Since manual weed removal isn't a practical method for large areas or places that are overgrown with weeds. In these cases, the best option may be to use herbicides. When done properly, herbicides are extremely effective at combating weed invasion and eliminating weeds. There are two types of herbicides:
- Systemic herbicides enter the plant through the roots and leaves and travel through the inside of the plant.
- Contact herbicides kill from the outside and work their way in. By attacking the exposed parts of the plant, contact herbicides kill the weed by reducing its ability to feed itself through the process of photosynthesis.
Within these two categories, herbicides may also be selective or nonselective:
- Selective herbicides, kill only certain plants and only work when you applied as directed. These products remove weeds without killing the lawn where the weeds grow.
- Nonselective herbicides kill all plants they come into contact with. These are best used when preparing to establish a new lawn. When used, all living vegetation can be removed from an area, which gives you a clean slate to work with.
Lastly, herbicides are either pre-emergent or post-emergent and the timing of application is crucial. Application too late or early only wastes the herbicide.
- Pre-emergent herbicides are designed for application before the targeted weed germinates, and are an effective preventative method for controlling weeds. Pre-emergent herbicides establish a chemical barrier that don't kill established plants, but are great when used for preventative measures. The protective barrier breaks down in six to eight weeks, therefore requiring proper timing to be effective. It is best practice to apply them early in the season. Use caution during application because pre-emergents may harm some plants and turf grasses.
- Post-emergent herbicides are designed to attack weeds that are already growing. All contact weed killers are post-emergents. It is a best practice to apply post-emergents later in the growing season, after weeds have grown but before they seed.
Weed identification and characteristics
Flowers growing in the lawn or grass can be considered weeds. Botanically, there are three types of weeds:
- The leaves on this weed are broad and flat (not grassy or needle-like)
- Examples include dandelion, clover, ground ivy (creeping Charlie), oxalis, chickweed, dollarweed, henbit, plantain, and thistle.
- This weed resembles grass in the way it looks and grows, one leaf at a time. Leaves look like grass blades.
- Examples include crabgrass, foxtail, annual bluegrass, and quackgrass.
- This weed resembles grass in the way it looks and grows, one leaf at a time. Its leaves look like grass blades.
- Examples include crabgrass, foxtail, annual bluegrass, and quackgrass.
Lawn Love for weed control
When it comes to combating weeds, the best defense is often a good offense, which means a weed control company may be your best option. Here at Lawn Love, your lawn care providers know just how hard it can be to keep weeds at bay. If you’re looking for weeding services near me, we can match you with skilled, independent weed control companies who have extensive weed control expertise. Lawn Love lawn companies near me offer selective herbicide spot-treatments to stop even the most aggressive weeds. Don't let your lawn and garden fall prey to weeds. Let us connect you with a lawn company. Give us a ring at 800-706-4117, or get a weed control quote online.
Lawn Love is a modern, tech-enabled service that instantly connects you to lawn care services near me. Gone are the days of physical, in-person estimates, payments left under the doormat, and spotty service from lawn companies. Just tell us your address, and we use a combination of high-resolution satellite imagery, machine learning, and human review to generate a personalized blueprint of your yard – all in under two minutes and without ever setting foot on your property.
From there, you can book your service with just a few clicks, and we'll match you up with a lawn care company to come by and complete the work. You can coordinate everything from your smartphone or web browser, and the entire experience is streamlined and delightful.
Lawn Love is your weed control near me answer. Stop wasting your time with other lawn care companies. We’ll connect you with a local lawn weed control service that can service your yard in as soon as two days. Stop searching for weed spraying near me, and let Lawn Love connect you with a weed control company near me.
Pricing for lawn weed control near me
We believe in immediate and transparent pricing for your lawn care services. That's why we offer you an instant and personalized quote for your lawn weed service using satellite imagery to locate and size your lawn. Cheap lawn care near me doesn’t have to be difficult! You can rest easy knowing that you found affordable lawncare and yard services near me with a professional lawn care business with no hidden costs.